Monday, November 13, 2006

final scent

Last thoughts on the con....

One is a memory that at more than one panel the pros were discussing how readers affect the story. I know this is true, because I've stopped reading three very good fantasy authors because their wonderful stories did not fulfill my expectations of what I wanted to read. At the con, this topic was discussed. Some pros try to adjust their stories to fit the expectations of their readers--writers beware, this doesn't work, according to the pros. But what to do? Accept it as a fact, they say. Every reader brings expectations to the story that the author cannot write around.
The other thing I'm remembering from the con was a wonderful "Reading Session" by Lee Modesitt. Sometime next year, I believe, he's going to have an Anthology of his own short stories coming out. He read one to us. This is what happened: First, we were late into the room because the previous person had run long, so Lee got a late start. So--when it came time for the next panel to enter our room, we were still busy listening. AND WE ALL REFUSED TO MOVE OUT OF THE ROOM UNTIL HE FINISHED! Yup, that sounds very much like a winner!

2 Comments:

Blogger Constance said...

I think people have been addressing this around the blogsphere this past week or two.(you were out of the room. *g*)
Write what you love or write what sells. An interesting dichotomy, because when you are unpublished, you have to do a little of both.

Besides, I work for the government... so I already write what sells. Sorta. Status reports = fiction :P

8:56 PM  
Blogger KC Heath said...

I've found that my female protagonist stories might have a better chance at selling than my male protagonist stories... but that doesn't mean I'm going to go back and rewrite what I've already written just so it will sell [not beyond general editing that is]. I believe that a writer has got to keep that internal vision or just stop writing altogether. Apparently the pros agree on this, thankfully.

1:02 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home