Tuesday, October 03, 2006

fey

Okay, I saw this word in a novel I was reading on Saturday and had to go to the dictionary to make sure I understood its usage correctly. According to Webster, the meaning fit what the author intended: "fated for death," but according to my Oxford dictionary, fey means "otherworldly"--something we artist types really get into.

On Sunday I bought another research book with a sound enhancing CD in the back. This one is tribal drums. So last night I sat watching the sunset slant rose light through the trees whilst listening to these tribal drums beat a soft hollow cadence, and I did slip into another world--the world of muse where story lives and breathes. I didn't want the moment to end.

3 Comments:

Blogger Constance said...

KC, here it was geese honking while they flew past an almost full moon in a star strewn sky. The wind played backup rattling the trees and pulling leaves. Very otherworldly.

Drums are great for that out of the ordinary feel. Drums and pipes are my all time favorite combo for mood setting. Maybe a fiddle thrown in. :)

Connie

4:42 PM  
Blogger KC Heath said...

Mmm, I love to Muse. Sometimes I spend more time in the Muse than writing. But then I remember reading that Leonardo did the same thing, so I think we're in good company :)

3:19 PM  
Blogger Diana said...

Absolutely! I think our writing is born of dreams and waking visions, and such moments as you and Connie describe. You cannot draw from the spring if the spring is dry. So we fill it when we can and sometimes we have to wait until it fills with water again. And again.

5:07 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home